TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women's basketball team will kick off the 2017-18 season on Friday November 17 against Finlandia University in the opening game of the Hope College Tip Off Tournament. Rose-Hulman will play a second game against either Heidelberg or nationally-ranked Hope College on Saturday November 18.
Tip off against Finlandia on Friday is set for 5:30 p.m.
Rose-Hulman News & Notes:
- Rose-Hulman has posted an overall record of 47-8 over the past two seasons with two Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference regular season championships, one HCAC Tournament title and one trip to the NCAA Division III Tournament.
- RHIT is receiving votes in both the D3Hoops.com and WBCA Preseason Top 25 polls. Rose-Hulman has received a school record 11 votes in the D3Hoops.com Top 25 poll.
- Rose returns seven of its top nine scorers from last year's team. All-HCAC performers Alyzia Dilworth (8.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg), Abby Bromenschenkel (7.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg), and Ally Bromenschenkel (13.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg) all return to lead Rose-Hulman.
- Head Coach Jon Prevo enters his 12th season at the helm of the RHIT women's basketball program. He owns a career record of 146-142 (.507).
- Rose-Hulman played an exhibition game at Division I Eastern Illinois on Monday November 6. RHIT led the Panthers 34-31 at halftime before falling 73-58. Rose-Hulman outrebounded EIU 39-26 in the game and had 19 offensive rebounds compared to the Panthers' 18 defensive rebounds.
Friday Night's Opponent: Finlandia University Lions (0-1)
- The Lions went 8-15 a year ago. Fin U. dropped their season opener at Lakeland College 78-59 on Wednesday Novermber 15.
- Head Coach John Motherwell enters his first season at the helm of the Finlandia women's basketball program. Motherwell comes to Finlandia after serving as an assistant coach at Division I Valparaiso.
- Julia Daavettila (15.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg) and Kelsie Richards (14.2 ppg) and 8.1 rpg) return for their senior seasons to lead the Lions.
Saturday's Potential Opponents: Heidelberg University Knights OR Hope College Flying Dutch
- Heidelberg and Hope College square off against one another on Friday November 17 following Rose-Hulman's contest with Finlandia.
- Heidelberg posted an overall record of 8-17 last season.
- Hope College went 24-5 in 2016-17 and advanced to the NCAA Division III Tournament sectional semifinals.
- The Flying Dutch enter the season ranked tied for 10th in the WBCA Preseason Top 25 poll. HC is ranked #13 in the D3Hoops.com Preseason Top 25 poll.