Rose-Hulman opened the match with two doubles victories to take an early 2-1 advantage. Freshman Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis.) gave Rose-Hulman a 3-2 lead with her 6-2, 7-5 victory at the No. 3 position.
Sophomore Sage Sackett (Kalamazoo, Mich./Mattawan) (pictured) increased the lead to 4-2 with a come-from-behind victory at No. 2 singles. Sackett trailed early in the first set before rallying to capture a tiebreaker, then completed the victory by a 6-1 margin in the second set.
Senior Klara Schroederus (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South) earned the championship clinching victory by completing a 6-4, 6-0 win at the No. 6 singles position. Freshman Colleen Stevenson (Bolton, Mass./Nashoba Regional) led at the No. 5 singles position, and sophomore Melissa Montgomery (Alexandria, Ind./Monroe) was in a tightly contested match at No. 4 singles when the clinching point was earned.
Sackett joined Montgomery for a No. 2 doubles victory, and the No. 3 squad of freshmen Paige Cook (Terre Haute/North) and Lauren Reberger (Brazil/Northview) rounded out the winners by an 8-4 margin.
Earlier in the day, Rose-Hulman topped Manchester College 5-1 to advance to the title match. The No. 2 and No. 3 doubles teams started the match with victories, with Sackett, Stettler and Montgomery providing singles wins.
Rose-Hulman stands 11-1 overall on the season and will return to the courts this spring. The NCAA Division III Tournament will take place May 13-15 at a site to be determined.
HCAC TOURNAMENT FINAL MATCH:
ROSE-HULMAN 5, TRANSYLVANIA 2
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Katie Boone (TU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Sarah Ridley (TU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) vs. Stephanie Townsend (TU) Not completed
5. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) vs. Kaitlyn Hizny (TU) Not completed
6. Klara Schroederus (RHIT) def. Victoria Haugli (TU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT) def. Boone/Townsend (TU) 8-6
3. Paige Cook/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Hizny/Abby Newcom (TU) 8-4
2. Sage Sackett (RHIT) def. Kara Gilley (MC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Alli Heeter (MC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Melissa Montgomery (RHIT) def. Alyssa Dibley (MC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) vs. Brandy Leeper (MC) Not completed
6. Klara Schroederus (RHIT) vs. Jillian Bower (MC) Not completed
2. Sackett/Montgomery (RHIT) def. Heeter/Dibley (MC) 8-5
3. Paige Cook/Lauren Reberger (RHIT) def. Leeper/Emily Vail (MC) 8-4