TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (1-0) hosts Illinois Tech (4-1) in its 2017 women's tennis home opener on Saturday at noon.
RHIT NEWS & NOTES:
* Rose-Hulman stands 1-0 after defeating Defiance 9-0 in the regular season and Heartland Conference opener last Saturday.
* Rose-Hulman is the defending Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament champions and reached the NCAA Division III Tournament in the spring of 2017.
* Rose-Hulman is the preseason pick of league coaches to win the HCAC regular season championship this season. The Fightin' Engineers received five of a possible eight first-place votes.
* Anna Thompson was named the 2017 HCAC Tournament Most Valuable Player, first-team all-conference and league Freshman of the Year. Senior Bella Evans and sophomore Naomi Bhagat also captured all-league recognition last season.
* Evans and Bhagat have impressive career singles records. Evans stands 38-11 in career singles matches, while Bhagat is 16-4.
* Rose-Hulman stands 54-12 in HCAC regular season play since the 2010 season.
MEET THE YELLOW JACKETS:
* Illinois Tech may be a first-year NCAA Division III program, but the Scarlet Hawks are playing like veterans with a 4-1 overall record.
* Illinois Tech has defeated Monmouth, North Park, Wisconsin Lutheran and Beloit so far this season. The team's only loss is at Millikin.
* The georgraphically diverse roster includes five states and three nations.
* Rose-Hulman will host Oakland City at noon on Sunday (Sept. 17) at the Joy Hulbert Tennis Center.